Fly Fishing, Fly tying, Mountain Biking

Posts tagged “fly tying

Lack of posts…

But heavy on the tying…since its been cold here and I’ve had very little fishing so I’ve been tying a lot lately. Here are some of more recent pictures…









Mobile Fly Tying….

Mobile fly tying at its best…as I mentioned last week, I recently purchased a Windsor 8 drawer wooden tool chest, well this past weekend I got to fill it up with a good bit of my fly tying material. As I said this is no Gerstner in material or craftsmanship but for under $100 you can’t beat it. So here is a breakdown of how I set up from top to bottom…


Top Shelf – EP Fibers, vise base, Superglue, Ultrawire rack, Clear Cure Goo Syringes and other miscellaneous items, I’ve also got the painting Anna did for me and I’ve added a felt covered piece of foam for a drying spot for finished flies.

Top Left Drawer – 35 spools of thread and floss

Top Right Drawer – this is the drawer I added the dowel rods and I’ve got my vinyl d-rib, tinsel, lead wire, and extra ultra wire


2nd Left Drawer – since 90% of my tying is saltwater now, this drawer has a my rabbit strips, rubber legs and some chenille


2nd Right Drawer – Flash


3rd Left Drawer – hooks, beads, eyes


3rd Right Drawer – Tools, bobbins, scissors, whip finisher, hackle pliers


4th Row Large Drawer – Feathers


5th Row Large drawer – vise, rubber bead mat, bobbin cradle, 3 hook assortments, mono for weed guards, CCG Light, SHAN, Silly Putty, toothbrush


As you can tell, you can fit a good bit of material, this definitely something you could carry to the campsite or vacation if you needed or in my case to keep from taking up to much room.

A new beginning…

Life is funny and in the past year as you’ve seen on this blog I moved from my home state of Georgia to Charleston, SC, now with this move we downsized from our townhouse to an apartment. Now with this downsize I’ve gone from a basement where my fly tying area was a desk, book shelf and pretty much the entire basement to needing something that can be out of sight out of mind. So I searched the Internet for some ideas on what to do because I live by the creed of “happy wife happy life” and when the wife says she wants my fly tying gear to be neat and easy to put away that’s what she gets. The first thing I thought was to get a Rubbermaid but its not very organized but I liked the idea of a chest of sorts. I remember seeing on NGTO people using a Gerstner Machinist Chest for fly tying so I started looking at those. I must say they are gorgeous pieces of woodwork and the prices for them are very much right on, which is expensive. So I looked into restoring one which was still an expensive move so I started looking into imitation machinist chest and found this Windsor 8 drawer tool chest. The price was right so I got one ordered. Once it got in I started checking it out and planning how I was going to setup and the first thing I noticed the top two drawers had little dividers that will be perfect for thread, ultra wire, or even d rib spools. So the first thing I decided was to add some dowel rods to one of the dividers so I can just pull off what I need and cut it off.



After that was done, time to add some stickers for some flair. First you got to represent Southern Culture on the Fly, Simms and I’m waiting on Patagonia to hook me up. Next I’m going to have get some Fiberglass Manifesto stickers to add the box. The last and most important is on the next run back home I’ll have to get it stocked and ready to start tying. Especially since I made some new fly boxes ready to be filled for some redfish flies.



It’s getting crabby in here…

Here are some recent flies I’ve tied up lately…






Spoon flies made easy…

Here’s a video of a spoon fly that I tied up the other night…hope y’all like it…

Not much fishing…

Haven’t been fishing lately but I’ve been hitting the vise a good bit. Since moving to Charleston I’ve had to learn a whole new style of tying. I’ve been practicing a lot with Enrico Puglisi style streamers and using the EP fibers for crabs. Also, I’ve been playing around with Silly Putty and CCG making some spoon flies. They are looking alright but I’m still not very happy with them…hopefully I’ll hit the water soon and find out how effective they are.


The proof is…

The proof is in the pudding, hit the dam today with a new fly for some testing. The wind was blowing something terrible all day, plus it was well in the high 90s all day. Thankfully with a long sleeve SPF shirt and a Hoo Rag I was able to handle the sun without getting burnt to crisp. Fishing was slow most of the day I hooked into 4 fish and had 2 hang around for pictures. I ended missing a good bit as well. I hooked 2 with my zebra midge that I coat with CCG and the other 2 on my CCG Copper John. All in all a great day on the water.